Somehow it is already mid September and that Autumnal feeling has arrived. For some of you, you may be starting University this week. Well done, all of your hard work has paid off! I have been feeling quite nostalgic recently, having now graduated a year ago which has led me to writing this. Although I had older siblings who went to Uni so it was easier for me to gauge what to pack, for some of you, you may be the first one off on this crazy adventure, or like me, you want to reminisce on those Fresher days. Here is a list of the top 10 essential and luxury items to pack!
- Cutlery -So this one is a given. It’s exciting going cutlery shopping getting your matching sets of knives and forks. Also remember to buy some kitchen knives (surprisingly I was the only who bought some in my first year) same goes with chopping boards, wooden cooking spoons, tea towels and oven gloves. It’s a good idea to also get a bottle of washing up liquid and some sponges so that you can take it in turns to restock your kitchen. Push the boat out on that first washing up liquid purchase, get the nice fairy liquid because after that it’s going to be Poundland’s finest.
- A few days worth of food – You may think this is obvious but what a lot of students forget is that your student loan doesn’t go in until you actually start your course. Take advantage of your parents generous Tesco shop; you don’t want to be in your overdraft before you actually start!
- Wine – Really this should have been number 1 it is what Fresher’s is all about…along with settling in and discovering your Student town/city. Buy yourself some wine or your favourite gin and tonic before you turn up so that after your room is unpacked, and once you’ve made the small talk with your new flatmates, said a teary goodbye to your parents, you are ready for Pre’s.
- Painkillers – Conveniently following wine, this is a no brainer. Also this is a savior if you battle against Fresher’s Flu.
- Backpack – Get yourself a decent bag for Uni. The first few weeks when you are keen and decide to attend every single 9am lecture, trekking up that mountain of a hill, the last thing you want is your bag breaking or your laptop barely fitting in.
- Lamp – Surprisingly enough some student rooms don’t provide one. Hit up argos and get a desk lamp for those midnight cramming sessions.
- Mirror- You take advantage of the million and one mirrors at home but some student rooms only have a small mirror in the bathroom. Invest in a cheap floor length mirror from a high street home bargains shop, so that you don’t have to resort to checking yourself out in glass doors on the way out.
- Toilet roll – Don’t say no to those Andrex Puppies rolls your mum wants to get you. Take it from me, when your loan is running low this is one essential that soon becomes a luxury, leaving you reaching for the one ply orange toilet roll.
- Washing powder and laundry basket- Maybe it is your first time doing your washing, tip : separate your whites from darks and get the washing liquids appropriate for each one (maybe even some colour catches for those forgetful days!) Get a decent laundry basket, although you think that a bin liner will do, your washing will grow in size (hopefully nothing else!) Try Primark, TK Maxx or a Dunelm.
- Towels – Finally remember your towels! Bring two large towels, two small handtowels and two bathmats. As minimalist as you think you are, the superpower of your parents same day laundry service seems to get lost at Uni when you have to do it yourself. Bringing two of each means you don’t have to worry if you have yet to do your washing.
The Luxury Items:
- Candles – Take a trip to your town’s Primark and purchase some of their candles. Not only do they smell nice but for those chilled movie nights in or those evenings after winding down from a stressful assignment they create the most relaxing ambience.
- Blanket – Bring a blanket for your bed. This may seem silly but most University buildings are old and are not famous for keeping the heat in. Plus your room looks cute.
- Slippers – Make sure to pack these! Living with other people means that food gets dropped, drinks get spilled and glass gets broken. Slippers really are an essential item thinking about it! Also many an evening may end up in spontaneous walks to the local corner shop in your slippers and pj’s.
- A warm dressing gown- You see where I am going with the two above!
- Photos – Just because you have moved away from home does not mean you should forget about it! Bring a few photos of your friends and family, which will also help with times you may be homesick.
- Kindle – If you have a kindle bring one. Not only can you download textbooks (if they are relatively new) meaning you don’t lug about heavy books, but you may find yourself stuck on campus in between lectures. Reading can help pass the time.
- Your hobby – By this I mean, if you play an instrument such as a guitar or love to paint, bring it with you to Uni. You are moving to Uni after all, don’t forget about these hobbies as you may find some spare time on your hands. Rather than binging on Netflix, bring your hobby with you- you will find some space in the car to pack it up!
- Favourite films – On that note do bring your favourite films. You may not be lucky enough to have a TV or a TV license at Uni.
- Your secret childhood comforter – Although I am sure you definitely do not still have your favourite childhood toy or blanket, bring it with you. Uni is a big step and it is perfectly fine to have something to make you feel at ease. Also anyone who says they don’t bring some kind of nostalgic item with them is definitely lying!
- Earplugs – For my last luxury item I suggest earplugs. Halls can be fun, but on days where you are the only one who has that important exam or that needs to be up at silly o’clock, this will be a quick fix to block out your laughing flatmates who are coming back from a night out!
I hope you all enjoyed the list above and best of luck to any Fresher’s out there!